I have a passion for collecting vintage Star Wars merchandise from the late 70's. Action figures, comics, trading cards etc - anything related to the first Star Wars movie. But why only until 1980? It's not that I don't love The Empire Strikes Back and beyond (I really do), but there is something about that first wave of Star Wars mania that really grips me, back when it was all fresh and exciting...

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Promotional Flyers





Bit of a half-assed post today, but I've had these things lying around for ages and thought it was time I stuck them up. Promotional flyers such as the top one from 1979 were inserted into boxed Star Wars toys (like vehicles and playsets) and were like mini catalogues showing off all the Star Wars goodies that were available.





The second one from 1978 released in conjunction with now defunct fast food outlet; Burger Chef, styled itself as an 'activity booklet' and included a 'connect the dots to discover the hidden character' (it's a stormtrooper), a wordsearch and a 'space maze' on the rear cover. Don't know what a Tusken Raider is doing aboard the Death Star, but what the hey. Sandwiched in between was the usual array of Star Wars figures, toys and games.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I distinctly remember the Burger Chef promotion, though not these little booklets. I do remember placemats with movie pictures on one side and a picture to color on the reverse, and happy meal-style boxes that had vehicles you could punch out and assemble on the back. Good times!